What is the Blue Star Programme
The Blue Star Programme is an education initiative for primary school students across Ireland. The idea of the Programme is simple: to foster better understanding and knowledge of the European Union and how it affects the lives of Irish citizens among Irish primary pupils through classroom projects and activities.
Pupils of all ages, from primary schools all over Ireland, are challenged to get creative and think about Europe by carrying out projects in relation to four key elements: the history, geography, culture and creativity, and Institutions of the EU. Each participating school is required to carry out projects and tasks, incorporating elements that include information about:
- The foundation and development of the European Union
- The cultural and linguistic diversity of Europe
- What the European Union does and how its work affects the lives of citizens
The Blue Star Programme aims to introduce participants (pupils, teachers, parents and the wider community) to the EU; what it means and how it works. The Programme also aims to foster a strong sense of awareness of the EU among its participants that reaches far beyond the school walls and out into the wider community.
The Blue Star Programme has creativity at its core and its structure and project work encourage teachers and pupils from all corners of Ireland to ‘think outside the box’. The wider school community are also encouraged to get involved and contribute to the Programme.
One of the advantages of this programme is its flexibility. You, the teacher can decide whether your entire school completes the programme or whether you just want individual classes to participate.
Above all, the programme is designed to be as curriculum friendly as possible for teachers so it can fit in with lesson plans already in place.
To find out more about our most recent activities relating to the Blue Star Programme, please view the S.E.S.E. section of Our Work Zone.
- Active Schools Week – Skipathon
- Active Schools Week – Hula Hooping
- Active Schools Week – Gymnastics
- Active Schools Week – Tug of War
- Active Schools Week – GAA
- Active Schools Week – Basketball
- Active Schools Week – RINKA Workshop
- Notification regarding the Board of Management review of the Child Safeguarding Statement 2019.
- Child Safeguarding Statement 2019
- WELCOME TO THE HEALTHY HEROES LUNCH CLUB!